So you’ve spent countless hours trying to figure out why your pom.xml file generates the following error:

Failure to transfer org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:pom

I spent a great deal of time looking for proxy issues etc and finally found out that the reason I was having issues was because I had a number of failed maven downloads.  So I ran this:

Mac:
find ~/.m2  -name "*.lastUpdated" -exec grep -q "Could not transfer" {} \; -print -exec rm {} \;
Windows:
cd %userprofile%\.m2\repository
for /r %i in (*.lastUpdated) do del %i

and then I right clicked on the project and selected Maven | Update Project, and the problem was resolved.  Good luck, hope this helped.